“You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve.
Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.” John 6:67-69
The words of Peter have been echoing through my head many times the past month. No, I haven’t been thinking of leaving Jesus, but as Katy and I keep taking steps forward with this ministry my sinful flesh rises up with temptations.
“Live for yourself and just focus on raising your own kids.”
“Think of the life you could have if you just keep the course.”
“Stay safe. Be comfortable. Enjoy life.”
Then, I hear Peter’s words again, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.”
I know the truth from God’s Word and it has forever changed me.
- I am not a mistake, but was created by God and he loves me personally and deeply.
- Jesus has set me free from all my sins. Death has lost its sting. Heaven is my home.
- I am called to go and share this good news with all people.
- My life is meant to be lived for others as Jesus demonstrated.
- All that this world can offer feels like a loss compared to knowing God.
As much as my sinful flesh wants to draw me back to this world, I know the truth: Living for myself, striving to stay safe, and pursuing the things of this world are meaningless.
So, I’m with Peter. (I imagine high fiving him.)
“Jesus, I know you are the Holy One of God and have the words of eternal life, so I’m following you.” (Give him a brotherly hug.)
Then, turning to you, I say: “Are you coming too?”